Promoting Renewable Energy through Education
The Rahus Institute – a 501c3 non-profit corporation. founded in 1998.
Tor’s Linkedin Bio
Why Solar? 5 minute video on why explore and promote solar energy.
Solar Schoolhouse – Education Energized by the Sun – planting seeds of solar literacy throughout the k12 spectrum
Professional Development for Teachers – a ‘train the trainers’ strategy for increasing ability to reach more people
- Summer Institute for Educators – 5 day session. 14th year in 2016
- one day workshops throughout the year.
- online training modules
Developing and distributing Curriculum
Developing and distributing classroom kits
Developing and distributing project kits, examples include:
Developing new tools
- Human Sundial calculator (still in testing mode)
- Solar Detectives: Solar Performance Evaluation Activity for schools with solar arrays.
- MySolarSchool – custom posters, webpages
- SolarK12 – Tools for Teaching Solar
- Solar Schoolhouse Olympics
- Solar Discovery Faire – currently in Glendale CA
- Solar Schoolhouse Calendars
- Presenting at Educational Conferences. eg. Educating for Careers, Science Teacher conferences, Maker Education, etc.
- Newsletters – Solar Schoolhouse Class Notes
- through partners – provide them with content & materials. eg. Bonneville Environmental Foundation
How to pay for it all and keep it going?
for us it’s a combination of grants, sponsors, partnerships, and sales.